Skip to Main Content

Financial Aid and Money Management

Visit the DSC Financial Aid Website

Make sure to visit the Daytona State College Financial Aid pageundefined

for the most current information and contacts to assist you with your questions. 

Work Study - Student Employment

What is work study/student employment?

Federal Work Study provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to the student’s course of study.

Here’s a quick overview of Federal Work-Study (FWS):

  • It provides part-time employment while you are enrolled in school.
  • It’s available to undergraduate, graduate, and professional students with financial need.
  • It’s available to full-time or part-time students.

Benefits of Student Employment

  • Some work-study jobs are directly related to your major or your career goals. If so, this helps with the challenge of trying to find a full time job upon graduation without relevant work experience. For example, if you're a science major, you may have a work-study job working in a lab on campus. Journalism majors may have paid work-study positions with the school newspaper. The more you can align a work-study program with your major or future career, the better.

  • If your work-study jobs don't relate directly to your major or the type of work you're seeking, they can still be valuable additions to your resume. If you managed to work part-time, maintain a good grade point average and participate in extracurricular activities, employers will recognize that you have good time-management skills. You can also emphasize the transferable skills you've gained through your work-study jobs, such as customer service, leadership, teamwork, or communications skills. For example, if you used specific computer programs or had contact with clients or staff members, these are valuable workplace skills. Try to match the keywords used in job descriptions to your academic, internship, part-time jobs and work-study experiences. 

  • Since work-study is a program offered only to currently enrolled students, it is understood that some flexibility needs to be offered to prospective participants. While this isn’t always possible with every job provided through the work-study program, most will offer a degree of flexibility in hours and work around your class schedule. This may not be the case with a traditional off campus job. 

  • Most jobs are located on campus. Commuting to and from an off-campus job is often overlooked during the job search, but can become a real burden on a student who’s already juggling classwork and studying. Most work-study jobs are located directly on campus, saving students a significant amount of time over the course of a semester.

Other On Campus Student Employment Opportunities

You do not have to apply for financial aid or be awarded FWS to secure a job on-campus. Daytona State College has an Institutional Work Study (IWS) program that provides part-time employment to students who do not demonstrate financial need to be eligible for the Federal Work-Study Program, but otherwise like to secure a part-time job on-campus.  Students can search for employment opportunities on the Student Employment Opportunities page.

Visit the DSC Financial Aid page that has all the information you need about work study/student employment at the College. 

Visit the office of Federal Student Aid for more information about the work study program itself. 

DSC Student Employment Opportunities

How do I find a Work Study job at DSC?

The Student Employment Program lists all open positions on the DSC Human Resources page.These positions can be Federal Work-Study or Institutional Work-Study or both. Click the link to view the posting in its entirety, then submit your application materials to the contact person listed in the posting. 

If you experience any problems locating a job or finding a position of interest, please contact Financial Aid via email at