The Falcon HOPE Center provides the Men of Character Initiative (MOCI) for currently enrolled under represented male students. The program offers cultural enrichment, life skills development and academic preparation for male students attending Daytona State College.
The purpose of the MOCI is to assist Daytona State College in the implementation of its goals by increasing the number of men of color retained each semester. This program offers activities and supportive services to address the academic and personal development of African American and Hispanic males. A variety of activities for MOCI are planned to address the personal adjustment needs of the male students of color at Daytona State College.
MOCI students are expected to embody the following:
- Excellence – Achieved through words and deeds.
- Self-Awareness – Developed through reflection.
- Self-Respect – Earned through words and actions.
- Pride – Shown through behavior.
The goal of MOCI is to increase the retention and graduation of first-time enrolled African American and Hispanic males. To meet this expectation, the Daytona State College staff has committed to a strategic plan that:
- Collects environmental data using CIVITAS and student feedback
- Enhance student campus life experiences
- Participates in college mentoring programs
- Enhances equity and inclusion of first-time enrolled African American and Hispanic male students
- Increases community outreach activities and strengthens relationships with community partners